As most of you are aware, I am a breastfeeding advocate and has a fulltime job outside home. I express milk at work to continue feeding Maxyn with breastmilk even when I am away from her.
Below are my breastfeeding paraphernalia that I always have with me to work.
As soon as I arrive at work, I express milk and then every after 3 hours. I clean my hands using the alcohol then I put my ice pack in the freezer and start pumping milk. I can express about 4-7oz of milk per session.
After expressing breast milk, I transfer it in a milk bag, which I put in an ice cream container. I put that and my cleaned pump inside the refrigerator in our nursing area. I rinse the bottle I used with hot water for several times then I’m back to work.
Before I go home, I pick these up and put them into my thermal bag to lock in the coldness of all the milk.
- If you can express milk at the same time your baby feeds at home, the better.
- Alternate your starting point. If you feed your baby on the right before you go to work, start on the left on your first session at the office. This will ensure that both breasts get enough stimulation.
- Bring an ornament of your baby that can help stimulate your let down.
- Drink plenty of water so that the liquid that goes out of you body is replaced.
- Relax when you express milk. When you are stressed out, you may not get as much milk.
Got tips that you want to share with other breastfeeding mommas? Please share them in the comments section.
Like this post? Subscribe to Pop Ups of My Mind by Email
yuan's mum says
You're fortunate to have a nursing room at work. I pump where I get most peace and quiet…in my car. No fridge either..so I bring a cooler and ice packs with me for my expressed milk…which I get my little girl to consume immediately. Pumping milk at least 4x a day everyday for the past 4 months has been difficult but I am happy to be able to provide milk not only for my baby but to preemies, triplets and even my godchildren. Kudos to all breastfeeding moms out there!